DFO advises that the directed competitive cod fishery in NAFO Divisions 4RS and sub-Division 3Pn, for fixed gear vessels less than 65 feet, using six gillnets or 2,000 hooks, will open at 0600hrs on Monday, July 6, 2015.
This opening is for the following vessel classes:
- Enterprises based in Western NL and Southern Labrador – 4R3Pn (A274, A275, A277, A278)
- Enterprises based in 3Ps with overlap rights to 3Pn (A263, A266, A269,A272)
Fish harvesters are reminded of the following:
- Retention of Atlantic Halibut is not permitted while directing for cod;
- Licences and licence conditions are available through DFO’s National On-line Licencing System;
- Buddy-up arrangements must be completed before the opening date in order to be effective for the first week of fishing activity;
- at-sea observer coverage must be arranged before beginning fishing
Fish harvesters should note that management measures from past seasons are in place and during the entire commercial cod fishery.
DFO also advises that the commercial Cod fishery in NAFO Divisions 4R and sub-Division 3Pn, for a portion of the Quebec Region-based fleet using fixed gear, will open at 0430 EDT on July 5, 2015. Closing date to be announced later.
The fleets affected by this opening are vessel classes A132, A137, and A149 (Quebec Region based less than 65′ fixed gear fleet based on the Quebec North Shore).